Skip to main content

2019 Oscar Picks and Predictions





Now that I've seen nearly all of the Best Picture nominees I feel like I can make some official predictions, and also make some picks on which are my favourites. Full disclosure, there are a few of these films I have not seen, and I'm going to exclude picks in some categories that I don't know enough about to make an informed decision on. 


Lets start with the big ones!





Best Picture:
“Black Panther”
“BlacKkKlansman”
“Bohemian Rhapsody”
“The Favourite”
“Green Book”
“Roma”
“A Star Is Born”
“Vice”

I really thought all of the best picture nominees this year were fantastic, but I have to say.. I think Green Book was one of the best films I saw this year, if not THE best. Mahershala Ali was absolutely fantastic, and I really thought they beautifully told the story so well. BlacKkKlansman was really interesting because it had this very empowering feeling throughout the whole movie, so the scenes of Charlottesville at the end was really jarring and made seeing those images even more emotional to watch. Vice, just like The Big Short, managed to leave me truly enraged, but it was so interesting to see how truly connected everything in Washington really is, the scenes with the think tanks really made me nauseous. A Star Is Born was beautiful and Lady Gaga was unrecognizably, she was truly lost in her character completely. Bohemian Rhapsody was so much better than I was expecting and I loved seeing the history to one of my all-time favourite rock bands. I thought having such a huge chunk of "Live Aid" in there was a risky decision but I didn't want it to end. Black Panther was truly an experience, I've gone back and forth on whether or not I thought it deserved to be up on the "Best Picture" list when so many other super hero movies haven't been, but I remember thinking when I left the theater that this was so much more than a super hero movie, and I think that really is true. It was moving to me how much of the fashion, and design, even the hair styles were inspired by African culture, and how much that would mean to people with African heritage. And again... haven't seen Roma or The Favourite yet.. oopsie.

Prediction: I geuniely cannot see an obvious choice here so I'm going to go with my gut and say Green Book.
My Pick: Green Book

Lead Actor:
Christian Bale, “Vice”
Bradley Cooper, “A Star Is Born”
Willem Dafoe, “At Eternity’s Gate”
Rami Malek, “Bohemian Rhapsody”
Viggo Mortensen, “Green Book”

I have not yet seen At Eternity's Gate, though I really want to, but I gotta say I will defintiely be surprised if Willem Dafoe walks away with this one. Tough category, a lot of great performances in this category. Christian Bale goes so far beyond what is asked of him for roles that its probably taken years off of his life at this point. Give the man the Oscar. 

Prediction: Rami Malek
My Pick: Christian Bale

Lead Actress:
Yalitza Aparicio, “Roma”
Glenn Close, “The Wife”
Olivia Colman, “The Favourite”
Lady Gaga, “A Star Is Born”
Melissa McCarthy, “Can You Ever Forgive Me?”

Ok so I have not seen The Favourite or Can You Every Forgive me, but judging by the awards leading up to this.. I don't think it matters for this guessing. 

Prediction: Glenn Close or Lady Gaga
My Pick: I genuinely cannot pick between Glenn Close and Lady Gaga, they were both incredible. 

Supporting Actor:
Mahershala Ali, “Green Book”
Adam Driver, “BlacKkKlansman”
Sam Elliott, “A Star Is Born”
Richard E. Grant, “Can You Ever Forgive Me?”
Sam Rockwell, “Vice”

Look, I don't know who I would have taken off this list.. but TimothĂ©e Chalamet was absolutely robbed for not even being nominated in this category for Beautiful Boy. In fact, I think the whole film was robbed of any nominations. Having said all of that, I was kind of blown away by Mahershala Ali. I know he's a great actor, but I thought he absolutely stole the show. 

Prediction: Mahershala Ali
My Pick: Mahershala Ali

Supporting Actress:
Amy Adams, “Vice”
Marina de Tavira, “Roma”
Regina King, “If Beale Street Could Talk”
Emma Stone, “The Favourite”
Rachel Weisz, “The Favourite”

Well, this is awkward because I've only seen Vice so this is mostly a shot in the dark. I don't feel like I can really pick a favourite since I've only seen one of these performances so far. I'm working on it I swear!

Prediction: Regina King

Director:
Spike Lee, “BlacKkKlansman”
Pawel Pawlikowski, “Cold War”
Yorgos Lanthimos, “The Favourite”
Alfonso CuarĂłn, “Roma”
Adam McKay, “Vice”

Prediction: Alfonso CuarĂłn, Roma
My Pick: Alfonso CuarĂłn, Roma

Animated Feature:
“Incredibles 2,” Brad Bird
“Isle of Dogs,” Wes Anderson
“Mirai,” Mamoru Hosoda
“Ralph Breaks the Internet,” Rich Moore, Phil Johnston
“Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse,” Bob Persichetti, Peter Ramsey, Rodney Rothman


I haven't seen Spider-Man, Ralph, or Mirai so I'm only giving a prediction, but Isle of Dogs was great. 

Prediction:
Incredibles 2

Animated Short:
“Animal Behaviour,” Alison Snowden, David Fine
“Bao,” Domee Shi
“Late Afternoon,” Louise Bagnall
“One Small Step,” Andrew Chesworth, Bobby Pontillas
“Weekends,” Trevor Jimenez

I'm pretty sure I've only seen Bao.

Prediction: Bao


Adapted Screenplay:
“The Ballad of Buster Scruggs,” Joel Coen , Ethan Coen
“BlacKkKlansman,” Charlie Wachtel, David Rabinowitz, Kevin Willmott, Spike Lee
“Can You Ever Forgive Me?,” Nicole Holofcener and Jeff Whitty
“If Beale Street Could Talk,” Barry Jenkins
“A Star Is Born,” Eric Roth, Bradley Cooper, Will Fetters


Prediction:
If Beale Street Could Talk
My Pick: BlacKkKlansman 

Original Screenplay:
“The Favourite,” Deborah Davis, Tony McNamara
“First Reformed,” Paul Schrader
“Green Book,” Nick Vallelonga, Brian Currie, Peter Farrelly
“Roma,” Alfonso CuarĂłn
“Vice,” Adam McKay


Prediction:
Green Book
My Pick: Green Book

Cinematography:
“Cold War,” Lukasz Zal
“The Favourite,” Robbie Ryan
“Never Look Away,” Caleb Deschanel“Roma,” Alfonso CuarĂłn
“A Star Is Born,” Matthew Libatique

Wow, I've only seen A Star is Born, so I can't really pick a favourite. Although I have to say Alfonso CuarĂłn's films normally have some incredible cinematography so I would have high hopes for that one.

Prediction: Roma


Best Documentary Feature:
“Free Solo,” Jimmy Chin, Elizabeth Chai Vasarhelyi
“Hale County This Morning, This Evening,” RaMell Ross
“Minding the Gap,” Bing Liu
“Of Fathers and Sons,” Talal Derki
“RBG,” Betsy West, Julie Cohen

I've heard great things about Free Solo, I've only seen RGB so again don't want to make a pick. 

Prediction: Free Solo

Best Documentary Short Subject:
“Black Sheep,” Ed Perkins
“End Game,” Rob Epstein, Jeffrey Friedman
“Lifeboat,” Skye Fitzgerald
“A Night at the Garden,” Marshall Curry
“Period. End of Sentence.,” Rayka Zehtabchi

I've seen none of these and picking randomly so I have a prediction.


Prediction:
Life Boat

Best Live Action Short Film: 
“Detainment,” Vincent Lambe
“Fauve,” Jeremy Comte
“Marguerite,” Marianne Farley
“Mother,” Rodrigo Sorogoyen
“Skin,” Guy Nattiv

Again, picking randomly.

Prediction: Marguerite


Best Foreign Language Film:
“Capernaum” (Lebanon)
“Cold War” (Poland)
“Never Look Away” (Germany)
“Roma” (Mexico)
“Shoplifters” (Japan)

Prediction: Roma

Film Editing:
“BlacKkKlansman,” Barry Alexander Brown
“Bohemian Rhapsody,” John Ottman
“Green Book,” Patrick J. Don Vito
“The Favourite,” Yorgos Mavropsaridis
“Vice,” Hank Corwin

Prediction: The Favourite
My Pick: Vice


Sound Editing:
“Black Panther,” Benjamin A. Burtt, Steve Boeddeker
“Bohemian Rhapsody,” John Warhurst
“First Man,” Ai-Ling Lee, Mildred Iatrou Morgan
“A Quiet Place,” Ethan Van der Ryn, Erik Aadahl
“Roma,” Sergio Diaz, Skip Lievsay

Prediction: Black Panther
My Pick:  A Quiet Place


Sound Mixing:
“Black Panther”
“Bohemian Rhapsody”
“First Man”
“Roma”
“A Star Is Born”

Prediction: Bohemian Rhapsody
My Pick: Bohemian Rhapsody

Production Design:
“Black Panther,” Hannah Beachler
“First Man,” Nathan Crowley, Kathy Lucas
“The Favourite,” Fiona Crombie, Alice Felton
“Mary Poppins Returns,” John Myhre, Gordon Sim
“Roma,” Eugenio Caballero, BĂĄrbara Enrı́quez


Prediction:
Black Panther
My Pick: Black Panther or Mary Poppins Returns


Original Score:
“BlacKkKlansman,” Terence Blanchard
“Black Panther,” Ludwig Goransson
“If Beale Street Could Talk,” Nicholas Britell
“Isle of Dogs,” Alexandre Desplat
“Mary Poppins Returns,” Marc Shaiman, Scott Wittman


Prediction:
Mary Poppins
My Pick: Mary Poppins

Original Song:
“All The Stars” from “Black Panther” by Kendrick Lamar, SZA
“I’ll Fight” from “RBG” by Diane Warren, Jennifer Hudson
“The Place Where Lost Things Go” from “Mary Poppins Returns” by Marc Shaiman, Scott Wittman
“Shallow” from “A Star Is Born” by Lady Gaga, Mark Ronson, Anthony Rossomando, Andrew Wyatt and Benjamin Rice
“When A Cowboy Trades His Spurs For Wings” from “The Ballad of Buster Scruggs” by David Rawlings and Gillian Welch


Prediction:
Shallow
My Pick: Shallow

Makeup and Hair:
“Border”
“Mary Queen of Scots”
“Vice”


Prediction:
Vice
My Pick: Mary Queen of Scots

Costume Design:
“The Ballad of Buster Scruggs,” Mary Zophres
“Black Panther,” Ruth E. Carter
“The Favourite,” Sandy Powell
“Mary Poppins Returns,” Sandy Powell
“Mary Queen of Scots,” Alexandra Byrne


Prediction:
Mary Poppins Returns 
My Pick: Black Panther

Visual Effects:
“Avengers: Infinity War”
“Christopher Robin”
“First Man”
“Ready Player One”
“Solo: A Star Wars Story”

Prediction: Avengers Infinity War
My Pick: Avengers Infinity War


Well, if you've made it this far... thank you. Leave your top picks and predictions in the comments!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 10 Non-Cartoon Kids Movies

13 June 2013 So its been more then a month since posting anything, but for me summer has come and I'm working full time. However, I got a new position this week that leave me more time on the computer so you'll probably and hopefully see more of me from now on. Most of these films I'd say are more directed towards 7-12 year olds. I'd say maybe Labyrinth, Space Jam and Matilda might be an exception for those. Its not that the rest aren't appropriate for them, but more that they might not like them as much. All of them are fantastic films but for this one I went 100% with my own personal experience and preference. Please enjoy this weeks list, Top 10 Non-Cartoon Kids Movies. 10.) The Muppets Treasure Island I've never had a huge connection with The Muppets, but I thought a lot of people who feel this list would be unacceptable without it. I've only seen this film once or twice many, many years ago, but I remember it being enjoyable. I'm sort of usin

Top 10 80s Teen/Brat Pack Movies

Like I said, I've decided I want to try and do a new post every Sunday. I've decided that what I'm actually going to do is to have a Top 10 list every Sunday. The last few I've done have been a lot of fun so I figure, why not make it a new thing. Hopefully some people out there will enjoy them! So here they are: my list of Top 10 80's Teen/Brat Pack movies. 10.) Dirty Dancing I put this last, only because I was iffy on even putting it on the list because its not really a "Brat Pack" film, or the kind of "high school" movie I had intended, but she is a teen so I think it counts. Great coming of age/ discovering love movie.

Top 5 Scorsese Films

Top 5 Scorsese Films On my Top 10 Directors list Scorsese topped it. I absolutely adore his films, he absolutely mastered crime thrillers. All of his films have a lot of grit to them, but they always have so many amazing twists and turns. If you haven't seen any of his films, check yourself, because his films are fantastic. For those of you who might disagree with some of the films I left out, I haven't seen Raging Bull so, apologies that it will not break the top 5, but it IS under honourable mentions!