Skip to main content

2021 Golden Globes Nominations and Predictions

 



First of all, I am THRILLED to see Amy and Tina back again this year! Don't get me wrong, I love me some Ricky Gervais but I'm excited to see what these two ladies can bring to the virtual stage. It's that time of year again, we're a week out from the 2021 Golden Globes, and yet again, I have not seen all of the nominees so I'm going to do my best with what I have seen, and what I've heard about this years line up to tell you my predictions of who is going to win, and my pick of who I'd like to see win in each category!

Best Motion Picture (Drama)

Nomadland
Mank
The Father
Promising Young Woman
The Trial of the Chicago 7

Unfortunately I have so far only seen Promising Young Woman and The Trial of the Chicago 7 so far (Where the heck can I see Nomadland and The Father before Sunday? Help a girl out!!) Personally, no matter what else I see from 2020, I know for sure that Promising Young Woman is my favourite film of 2020. It is daring, stunning, funny, sweet, and horrifying. This will come up again later but Emerald Fennell has such a clear vision with this film, it was absolutely stunning. 

Prediction: Nomadland
My Pick: Promising Young Woman

Best Motion Picture (Musical/Comedy)

Borat Subsequent Moviefilm
Hamilton
Music
Palm Springs
The Prom

I think this is a really tough call for me. I haven't seen Borat, The Prom, or Music, and Hamilton is clearly a masterpiece, but the fact that they put musicals and comedies together is, I think, a mistake, particularly this year when for some reason there are so many musical options. I watched Palm Springs last night and I thought it was both hilarious and endearing. I find Andy Sandberg picks really hit or miss films to partake in, but it wasn't hard to tell this was a Lonely Island produced film. As a long, long, long time fan of comedy and musical stylings of The Lonely Island gang, I was thrilled to see another film from them.

Prediction: Hamilton
My Pick: Palm Springs

Best Motion Picture (Animated)

The Croods 2
Onward
Over the Moon
Soul
Wolfwalkers

So I've only seen Onward and Soul in this category, I've heard great things about Wolfwalkers, but I don't see a clear winner. Onward was sweet but I don't think had the emotional impact of some of the big Pixar classics, but as absolutely stunning as Soul was, I found the message a bit unclear and muddled. 

Prediction: Soul
My Pick: Soul

Best Actor in a Motion Picture (Drama)

Riz Ahmed, Sound of Metal
Chadwick Boseman, Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
Anthony Hopkins, The Father
Gary Oldman, Mank
Tahar Ramin, The Mauritanian

Prediction: Chadwick Boseman
My Pick: Chadwick Boseman

Best Actress in a Motion Picture (Drama)

Viola Davis, Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
Andra Day, The United States vs Billie Holiday
Frances McDormand, Nomadland
Carey Mulligan, Promising Young Woman
Vanessa Kirby, Pieces of a Woman

Shockingly I've only seen Promising Young Woman in this category, but I've heard quite a bit about a few of these performances and I think Vanessa Kirby's 20 minute birth scene gives her an edge to win in this category. But Carey Mulligan in Promising Young Woman(as well as everything else she's ever been in) is captivating, that switch we see in her with her first scene with Adam Brody is perfection. The phrase "what are you doing?" will never be the same again.

Prediction: Vanessa Kirby
My Pick: Carey Mulligan

Best Actor in a Motion Picture (Musical/Comedy)

Sacha Baron Cohen, Borat Subsequent Moviefilm
James Corden, The Prom
Lin-Manuel Miranda, Hamilton
Dev Patel, The Personal History of David Copperfield
Andy Samberg, Palm Springs

Prediction: Lin-Manuel Miranda
My Pick: Lin-Manuel Miranda

Best Actress in a Motion Picture (Musical/Comedy)

Maria Bakalova, Borat Subsequent Moviefilm
Kate Hudson, Music
Michelle Pfeiffer, French Exit
Rosamund Pike, I Care a Lot
Anya Taylor-Joy, Emma

Please check my review of I Care A Lot for my feelings on that film, really hope it wins zero awards, no offence Rosamund Pike. 

Prediction: Maria Bakalova
My Pick: Maria Bakalova

Best Supporting Actor in a Motion Picture

Sacha Baron Cohen, The Trial of the Chicago 7
Daniel Kaluuya, Judas and the Black Messiah
Jared Leto, The Little Things
Bill Murray, On the Rocks
Leslie Odom, Jr., One Night in Miami

Prediction: Daniel Kaluuya
My Pick: Sacha Baron Cohen

Best Supporting Actress in a Motion Picture

Glenn Close, Hillbilly Elegy
Olivia Colman, The Father
Jodie Foster, The Mauritanian
Amanda Seyfried, Mank
Helena Zengel, News of the World

Prediction: Glenn Close
My Pick: Olivia Colman

Best Director (Motion Picture)

Emerald Fennell, Promising Young Woman
David Fincher, Mank
Regina King, One Night in Miami
Aaron Sorkin, The Trial of the Chicago 7
Chloé Zhao, Nomadland

As I mentioned earlier, I think Emerald Fennell's debut with Promising Young Woman made me so excited to see what else she has in that brain of hers. She had such a complete vision in her mind of what she wanted this film to be, and she executed that vision so perfectly, I think her film has been considered controversial, but I really loved everything about it. For so many reasons, she's my pick for this one, and I don't say this lightly. David Fincher is my favourite director of all time so, this opinion is serious business. 

Prediction: Emerald Fennell
My Pick: Emerald Fennell


Best Screenplay (Motion Picture)

Aaron Sorkin, The Trial of the Chicago 7
Chloé Zhao, Nomadland
Florian Zeller and Christopher Hampton, The Father
Jack Fincher, Mank
Emerald Fennell, Promising Young Woman

Prediction: Aaron Sorkin
My Pick: Emerald Fennell


Best Original Score (Motion Picture)

Alexandre Desplat, The Midnight Sky
Ludwig Göransson, Tenet
James Newton Howard, News of the World
Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross and Jon Batiste, Soul
Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross, Mank

Prediction: Soul
My Pick: Soul


Best Foreign Film

Another Round, Denmark
La Llorona, Guatamela/France
The Life Ahead, Italy
Minari, USA
Two of Us, France/USA

I've honestly seen none of these so I have no opinion.


Best Original Song (Motion Picture)

“Io Si (Seen)” — The Life Ahead
“Speak Now” — One Night in Miami
“Tigress & Tweed” — The United States Vs. Billie Holiday
“Fight For You” — Judas and the Black Messiah
“Hear My Voice” — The Trial of the Chicago 7

Not my expertise so again I'm tapping out on this category as well.

Best Television Series (Drama)

The Crown
Lovecraft Country
The Mandalorian
Ozark
Ratched

So many great shows again this year, but it's an absolute travesty that I May Destroy You didn't get nominated. I loved Ozark, and it would be pretty cool if The Mandalorian won, but honestly, The Crown is just so incredible on so many levels.

Prediction: The Crown
My Pick: The Crown

Best Television Series (Comedy/Musical)

Emily in Paris
The Flight Attendant
The Great
Schitt’s Creek
Ted Lasso

Prediction: Schitt's Creek
My Pick: Schitt's Creek

Best Television Performance by an Actor (Musical/Comedy)

Don Cheadle, Black Monday
Eugene Levy, Schitt’s Creek
Nicholas Hoult, The Great
Jason Sudeikis, Ted Lasso
Ramy Youssef, Ramy

Prediction: Eugene Levy
My Pick: Eugene Levy

Best Television Performance by an Actress (Musical/Comedy)

Lily Collins, Emily in Paris
Kaley Cuoco, The Flight Attendant
Elle Fanning, The Great
Catherine O’Hara, Schitt’s Creek
Jane Levy, Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist

Prediction: Catherine O'Hara
My Pick: Catherine O'Hara

Best Television Performance by an Actor (Drama)

Jason Bateman, Ozark
Josh O’Connor, The Crown
Bob Odenkirk, Better Call Saul
Al Pacino, Hunters
Matthew Rhys, Perry Mason

Prediction: Jason Bateman
My Pick: Jason Bateman

Best Television Performance by an Actress (Drama)

Olivia Colman, The Crown
Jodi Comer, Killing Eve
Emma Corrin, The Crown
Laura Linney, Ozark
Sarah Paulson, Ratched

Prediction: Olivia Colman
My Pick: Jodi Comer

Best Television Performance by an Actor (Limited Series)

Bryan Cranston, Your Honor
Jeff Daniels, The Comey Rule
Hugh Grant, The Undoing
Ethan Hawke, The Good Lord Bird
Mark Ruffalo, I Know This Much Is True

Prediction: Mark Ruffalo
My Pick: Bryan Cranston

Best Television Performance by an Actress (Limited Series)

Cate Blanchett, Mrs. America
Daisy Edgar-Jones, Normal People
Shira Haas, Unorthodox
Nicole Kidman, The Undoing
Anya Taylor-Joy, The Queen’s Gambit

Prediction: Anya Taylor-Joy
My Pick: Anya Taylor-Joy

Best Supporting Actor (Television)

John Boyega, Small Axe
Brendan Gleeson, The Comey Rule
Dan Levy, Schitt’s Creek
Jim Parsons, Hollywood
Donald Sutherland, The Undoing

Prediction: Dan Levy
My Pick: Brendan Gleeson

Best Supporting Actress (Television)

Gillian Anderson, The Crown
Helena Bonham-Carter, The Crown
Julia Garner, Ozark
Annie Murphy, Schitt’s Creek
Cynthia Nixon, Ratched

Prediction: Julia Garner or Annie Murphy
My Pick: Gillian Anderson

Best Television Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television

Normal People
The Queen’s Gambit
Small Axe
The Undoing
Unorthodox

The Queen's Gambit is not my favourite thing on TV this year, but it was definitely well made. I personally had a big problem with the way they handled drugs and alcohol abuse, in many ways I felt it glorified it. Sure, her mom died most likely from the alcohol, but I personally thought they handled the topic clumsily. That being said, out of these options, it's still my choice.

Prediction: The Queen's Gambit
My Pick: The Queen's Gambit


Well that's all the nominee's, I'll try and check back next week and see how I did and who the winners are!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 10 Non-Cartoon Kids Movies

13 June 2013 So its been more then a month since posting anything, but for me summer has come and I'm working full time. However, I got a new position this week that leave me more time on the computer so you'll probably and hopefully see more of me from now on. Most of these films I'd say are more directed towards 7-12 year olds. I'd say maybe Labyrinth, Space Jam and Matilda might be an exception for those. Its not that the rest aren't appropriate for them, but more that they might not like them as much. All of them are fantastic films but for this one I went 100% with my own personal experience and preference. Please enjoy this weeks list, Top 10 Non-Cartoon Kids Movies. 10.) The Muppets Treasure Island I've never had a huge connection with The Muppets, but I thought a lot of people who feel this list would be unacceptable without it. I've only seen this film once or twice many, many years ago, but I remember it being enjoyable. I'm sort of usin

Top 10 80s Teen/Brat Pack Movies

Like I said, I've decided I want to try and do a new post every Sunday. I've decided that what I'm actually going to do is to have a Top 10 list every Sunday. The last few I've done have been a lot of fun so I figure, why not make it a new thing. Hopefully some people out there will enjoy them! So here they are: my list of Top 10 80's Teen/Brat Pack movies. 10.) Dirty Dancing I put this last, only because I was iffy on even putting it on the list because its not really a "Brat Pack" film, or the kind of "high school" movie I had intended, but she is a teen so I think it counts. Great coming of age/ discovering love movie.

Manhattan Murder Mystery

IMDB: 7.3 Rotten Tomatoes: 91% Roger Ebert: 3/4 stars Stars: Woody Allen, Diane Keaton, Alan Alda, and Anjelica Huston Written & Directed by: Woody Allen Described by IMDB as: “Larry and Carol are fairly normal New Yorkers who have sent their son off to college. They meet an elderly couple down the hall and later in the week find that the wife has suddenly died. Carol becomes suspicious of Paul who seems to be too cheerful and too ready to move on. She begins her investigation. Larry insists she is becoming too fixated on their neighbor as all of the irregularities seem to have simple non-homicidal explanations. Ted, a recently divorced friend helps her investigation and Larry begins to become jealous of their relationship and agrees to help her.”