Skip to main content

The Invisible Man



IMDB: 7.1/10

Rotten Tomatoes: 91%(critics), 88%(audience)

Director: Leigh Whannell
Writers: Leigh Whannell
Stars: Elisabeth Moss, Oliver Jackson-Cohen, Harriet Dyer, Aldis Hodge, Storm Reid

Release Date: 28 February 2020

It's an absolute tragedy that this movie was released when it was because so many people(myself included) did not get to experience this movie in theatres, and unfortunately, I think a lot of people will miss it altogether because it didn't get the exposure it should have. I personally decided to pay the $20 to watch it on demand at the beginning of the pandemic, and I was glad to have the escape from reality. 

I think if I had gone into this film realizing that it was from the team who brought us Paranormal Activity, and other horror movies that were way too scary for me to watch or enjoy, I think I would've run away screaming. But, thankfully my love of Elisabeth Moss and the fact that I assumed it was a thriller, made me comfortable enough to watch. First of all, I believe this script went through a few different hands over the past decade or so, but it really felt so timely to right now. I think the use "gaslight" has been floating around for a while, used sometimes accurately and sometimes inaccurately, but this film explains it perfectly, and society's distrust of female victims gives Adrian(Oliver Jackson-Chohen) the extra power he needs to terrorize Cecilia(Elisabeth Moss). I love that there are technically sci-fi elements, considering the invisible suit created by Adrian(Oliver Jackson-Cohen), but that's really where that element ends. 

They really did an absolutely masterful job at building suspense in this film in a variety of ways that I loved. Firstly, with their use of still camera shots. There were a few times when we get a static shot, maybe Cecilia leaves the frame completely, maybe the she's still in the frame but its not the right angle to be covering her, maybe nothing at all happens in the scene, but we know or at least, they are implying, based on the camera angle, that Adrian is in the room, and we're just sitting there, as the tension builds, waiting for something to happen. A very interesting and, I think, effective decision they made was to hardly ever let us see Adrian(Jackson-Cohen), I don't think it's until the last few scenes that we really see him at all. This, too, definitely adds to the tension building. As a person who hates horror movies, this has all of the suspense that a good thriller has, without completely ruining it with the jump scares of most horror movies.

This movie weighs heavily on the shoulders of Elisabeth Moss to carry us, as the majority of the movie is mostly her and her spiral into complete chaos as everyone around her believes she is losing her mind. Thankfully, I doubt the filmmakers lost much sleep over this casting choice as I strongly believe Elisabeth Moss is one of the best actresses of our generation. I was hoping she'd get the recognition she deserved with some nominations but so far it doesn't seem likely for any of the big ones. 

It's been nearly a year since I saw this movie, so I'm sure I'm missing some things. I'll definitely be re-watching sooner than later so I'll come back and edit if I feel the need to add anything else, but for now I'm giving this one an 8.5/10. A really effective thriller with a very timely theme. Definitely in my top 5 films of 2020.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 10 Non-Cartoon Kids Movies

13 June 2013 So its been more then a month since posting anything, but for me summer has come and I'm working full time. However, I got a new position this week that leave me more time on the computer so you'll probably and hopefully see more of me from now on. Most of these films I'd say are more directed towards 7-12 year olds. I'd say maybe Labyrinth, Space Jam and Matilda might be an exception for those. Its not that the rest aren't appropriate for them, but more that they might not like them as much. All of them are fantastic films but for this one I went 100% with my own personal experience and preference. Please enjoy this weeks list, Top 10 Non-Cartoon Kids Movies. 10.) The Muppets Treasure Island I've never had a huge connection with The Muppets, but I thought a lot of people who feel this list would be unacceptable without it. I've only seen this film once or twice many, many years ago, but I remember it being enjoyable. I'm sort of usin

Top 10 80s Teen/Brat Pack Movies

Like I said, I've decided I want to try and do a new post every Sunday. I've decided that what I'm actually going to do is to have a Top 10 list every Sunday. The last few I've done have been a lot of fun so I figure, why not make it a new thing. Hopefully some people out there will enjoy them! So here they are: my list of Top 10 80's Teen/Brat Pack movies. 10.) Dirty Dancing I put this last, only because I was iffy on even putting it on the list because its not really a "Brat Pack" film, or the kind of "high school" movie I had intended, but she is a teen so I think it counts. Great coming of age/ discovering love movie.

Top 5 Scorsese Films

Top 5 Scorsese Films On my Top 10 Directors list Scorsese topped it. I absolutely adore his films, he absolutely mastered crime thrillers. All of his films have a lot of grit to them, but they always have so many amazing twists and turns. If you haven't seen any of his films, check yourself, because his films are fantastic. For those of you who might disagree with some of the films I left out, I haven't seen Raging Bull so, apologies that it will not break the top 5, but it IS under honourable mentions!