Skip to main content

BARBIE




IMDB: 7.4/10

Rotten Tomatoes: 88%(critics), 84%(audience)

Director: Greta Gerwig
Writers: Greta Gerwig & Noah Baumbach
Stars: Margot Robbie, Ryan Gosling, Kate McKinnon, Simu Liu
Release Date: 21 July 2023


Wow. I saw this movie on July 23rd and I've been thinking about it ever since. Right off the bat, the first thing that has to be mentioned is the absolutely stunning and wildly impressive set design. The backdrops, the houses, all of the set decoration in Barbieland is PERFECTION. All of the travel sequences are so fun and beautiful and creative. I would love to believe that Barbie can help usher in a new era, where we can go back to at least having some movie with real honest to god set design in a sound stage, without so much CGI. Set Dec is 10/10

Next, I have to talk about Greta Gerwig's clear love of cinema. From the opening sequence that starts with a perfect 2001: A Space Odyssey parody which they absolutely nailed, to a hilarious Matrix reference, an explosive The Godfather attack, and then the overarching clear love of old Hollywood and especially those old school classic musicals. The dance and musical numbers here are just an absolute BLAST!

Then there is the acting. It almost feels wrong to say it, but there's no denying that Ryan Gosling steals every scene he is in. His comedic timing is a triumph and the fact that we haven't gotten to experience more of this in his film history is a travesty. Margot Robbie is absolute perfection, the most obvious casting for Barbie ever in the history of the world, but don't let that fool you. Her balance between comedy and the emotional scenes are unmatched by anyone else here. She really is one of the best actor of this generation. The rest of the cast also absolutely kills it; America Ferrera Simu Liu, Kate McKinnon, Michael Cera, Will Farrell, etc etc etc, everyone holds their own in this incredible ensemble performance. Acting is 10/10

THE MUSIC!!!! It is so iconic and obvious and perfect that we get a full original Barbie album for this film. I'm not always a hard pop music kind of person, but it went so perfectly with this film, that I had to order myself a vinyl copy. But best of all, Ryan Gosling's performance in "I'm Just Ken." The dance sequence in this one is so freaking fun and good and hilarious. I can only pray that it is nominated for Best Original Song at the Oscars so that we can be blessed with a live performance of this gem, can you imagine it?!? Music is 10/10

And finally, the script. See how I managed to make it this far in the review without even bringing up what all of those insecure baby men on the internet seem to only be able to focus their tiny brains on? This script is hilarious, SO smart and witty, and deeply poignant and emotional. It hits home so hard on so many points while still being able to poke fun at this doll that has captivated the imagination of children for the last 64 years. I love that even though Barbie has caught some heat in the last decade or so for destroying the body image of women everywhere(I personally did not find that to be the case for me, I was perfectly happy to compare myself to all of the other fellow 10 year old girls in my age group to do that for me) we are able to also look at how the ambitions of this doll, all of her careers, the fact that there was an Astronaut Barbie before there was a woman working at NASA, etc. 

Of course I have to mention the dreaded wish to take down the patriarchy!! If anything in this movie seemed false or offended you, I don't even know what to tell you. This felt like a very real and true example of what its like to walk through this world as a woman. So many women have shared America Ferrera's monologue, and the entire set of scenes after that were some of the funniest scenes in the entire movie. And I say that as a big Matchbox Twenty fan! 

All in all, this movie for me is a masterpiece, it's stunning, hilarious, emotional and the most fun I may ever have had in a movie theatre. Cannot recommend strongly enough! Easily my favourite movie of 2023, can't imagine how anything else could come close. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Invisible Man

IMDB: 7.1 /10 Rotten Tomatoes: 91%(critics), 88%(audience) Director:  Leigh Whannell Writers:  Leigh Whannell Stars:  Elisabeth Moss, Oliver Jackson-Cohen, Harriet Dyer, Aldis Hodge, Storm Reid Release Date:  28 February 2020 It's an absolute tragedy that this movie was released when it was because so many people(myself included) did not get to experience this movie in theatres, and unfortunately, I think a lot of people will miss it altogether because it didn't get the exposure it should have. I personally decided to pay the $20 to watch it on demand at the beginning of the pandemic, and I was glad to have the escape from reality.  I think if I had gone into this film realizing that it was from the team who brought us Paranormal Activity, and other horror movies that were way too scary for me to watch or enjoy, I think I would've run away screaming. But, thankfully my love of Elisabeth Moss and the fact that I assumed it was a thriller, made me comfortable eno...

Promising Young Woman

  IMDB: 7.5 /10 Rotten Tomatoes: 91%(critics), 87%(audience) Director:  Emerald Fennell Writers:  Emerald Fennell Stars: Carey Mulligan, Bo Burnham, Alison Brie, Laverne Cox Release Date:  25 December 2020 Warning: All of the spoilers ahead. Can I just say how incredible it is that this is a debut feature from Emerald Fennell? I think age is a benefit in that fact, because it's so obvious how completely clear of a vision she had in her head for this film, and she executed that vision so brilliantly.  This is definitely my favourite film of 2020, and there is so much to love about it. First of all, it is definitely the best "Me Too" film to come out of the movement so far, there have been a lot of interesting projects out recently that tackle consent and all kinds of other questions around the reckoning of 2017, such as The Assistant, and the absolutely brilliant show, I May Destroy You, but I think that unlike the other movies, this was able to have a particula...

Top 10 Directors

This weeks list topic is Top 10 Directors. I found this list very difficult because most of these directors who have created different worlds that have changed our lives, or taught us something about ourselves that we didn't know beforehand.  10.) Sam Mendes I think most people have actually not heard of Sam Mendes, although his name is getting a lot of coverage lately for the amazing job he did on the most recent Bond film  Skyfall .  He's actually only Directed 9 films so far, but all of them have been pretty well-known and extremely well recieved.  American Beauty ,  Road to Perdition ,  Jarhead ,  Revolutionary Road , etc. Since  American Beauty  is one of my very favorite films of all time, I had to allow him to make it onto this list. Like I said, he's only done a few films but thats incredibly exciting because he definitely got some serious potential, and after seeing his most recent film,  Skyfall , I can only assume its going...