Skip to main content

Top 10 Actresses

Originally Posted: 24 February 2013

This list might actually have been the easiest to rank surprisingly. Although, on this one I went more for talent over favouritism. Technically my favorite actress would probably be Carey Mulligan, but is she actually the best actress in the world? No, probably not. So, here it is my list of Top 10 Actresses.


10.) Jennifer Lawrence
I'm SO glad that she had already been nominated for an Oscar before doing The Hunger Games so that she doesn't get put into the same trap as Kristen Stewart. And then of course having Silver Linings Playbook released the same year and having all of these awards under her belt now have definitely cemented her as a legitimate actress in the worlds eyes. So far in her fairly short career she's been in such films asWinter's BoneX-Men: First ClassThe Hunger Games, and Silver Linings Playbook. She's also signed on to do another X-Men film and the next two Hunger Games movies. In the last 2 years she's been nominated for 2 Oscars, nominated for a Golden Globe, and won a Golden Globe. Heck, by to night she could have won one of those Oscar noms. She has made me extremely excited for the new generation of talent that are now up and coming. She's had some truly amazing performances so far with many more to come! 



9.) Rooney Mara
Like Jennifer Lawrence, Mara has also had a short but impressive career so far. So far I've seen her in primarily intense roles, and boy can she handle them. Her performance in last years The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo landed her an Oscar nomination for Best Actress In A Leading Role. She's signed on to do The Girl Who Played With Fire probably sometime next year. She also played a small role in The Social Network, I couldn't believe it was the same girl the first time I saw Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. Most recently she was in the thriller Side Effects. Another great Steven Soderbergh film. She has also been inNightmare On Elm Street and Youth in Revolt. Despite her amazing acting abilities, I'd really like her to branch out and do something a little different to show her full acting range, but I think it was smart of her to get her foot in as a "legitimate actress" before doing a simple rom-com. Can't wait to see what she has next!

8.) Jessica Chastain
And here I thought 2011 was a big year for Chastian, obviously the joke was on me as I had no idea what she had coming in 2012 with Zero Dark Thirty. I remembered seeing her and loving her in a bunch of films last year and she really stood out to me, which is why I think she deserves the Oscar this year. Last year she was in The DebtTree Of Life, and The Help, all of which were really fantastic films, and she was nominated for her role in The Help, so at least she was recognized. Some of her other films include; Take ShelterCoriolanusLawless and Mama. I haven't seen all of these, but I absolutely loved Lawless. She's done a great job at getting a ton of different kinds of films in which she plays a pretty distinctly different character in each film. Looking forward to seeing how she does tonight!


7.) Keira Knightly
Despite the fact that she is definitely most famous for her role in Pirates of the Caribbean, Keira is definitely the queen of period films, and she definitely knows how to find some insanely romantic films. I think I've loved almost every film she's ever been in, and she's been in some classics. Some of her films include; Bend It Like Beckham, three Pirates Of the Caribbean films,Pride & PrejudiceLove ActuallyKing ArthurDominoAtonementThe DuchessNever Let Me GoA Dangerous MethodSeeking A Friend For The End Of The World, and most recently Ana Karenina. She was nominated for an Oscar and a Golden Globe for Pride & Prejudice, and a Golden Globe forAtonement.  She's a really great actress and I always love waiting to see what she's coming out with next. I haven't seen Ana Karenina yet, but I hope to see it soon. 


6.) Carey Mulligan
I just adore Carey Mulligan. I think she's done some very interesting work, and I enjoy just about everything I've ever seen her in. She's acted with some very strong and famous  people but always manages to hold her own. I think she's finally becoming a household name, and I really fell like she deserves that. She started her career strongly when she appeared in Pride & Prejudice. Since then she's appeared in The GreatestAn EducationPublic Enemies, Brothers,Never Let Me GoDrive, and Shame. I'm extremely excited for her upcoming film The Great Gatsby, based on the F. Scott Fitzgerald novel, and from the trailers I've seen so far it seems like its going to be a very impressive film. She was nominated for both an Oscar and a Golden Globe for her performance in An Education. Honestly, if you've missed any of the films I've listed you need to watch them immediately. An Education and Never Let Me Go are some of my favorite films for sure. 


5.) Natalie Portman
I remember the exact moment I fell in love with Natalie Portman. Her performance in V for Vendetta pretty much cemented me as a fan for life. She's appeared in a rather wide variety of films including; LĂ©on: The Professional, Where the Heart Is, Anywhere But HereStar Wars,  Garden StateCloserV for VendettaThe Other Boleyn GirlNew York, I Love YouBrothersBlack SwanNo Strings Attached, andThor. She was nominated for a Golden Globe for Anywhere But Here, Won a Golden Globe for Closer (and was also nominated for an Oscar for that movie), and won an Oscar and a Golden Globe for her role in Black Swan, a truly breathtaking performance that everyone should witness at least once, no matter how truly uncomfortable it is. Natalie took a year off to raise her baby, but she's got a few films coming out this year, so I'm excited to see what she's got for us. 


4.) Kate Winslet
Kate Winslet is obviously best known for her role in Titanic, but she's been in many fantastic films that have garnered her man nominations and wins in her career. She always takes risks, always chooses interesting films and never stops surprising her audience. Some of her films include; Heavenly Creatures,Sense and SensibilityHamletTitanicIrisThe Life of David GaleEternal Sunshine of the Spotless MindFinding Neverland, Little Children, The ReaderThe HolidayRevolutionary RoadCarnage, and Contagion. She's been nominated for Oscars for Sense and SensibilityTitanicIrisEternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, and Little Children, finally winning in 2009 for The Reader. Some of my personal favorites of hers are TitanicThe Life of David Gale, Finding Neverland and The Reader. 
I'm excited to see what she has going on next, and I plan to pretend that Movie 43 happened for her sake.




3.) Helen Mirren
I'm sure that I'm going to leave out some big films that she has been in because they were so much before my time that I genuinely wouldn't know them, sorry Helen. I think she might be best known for her performance as Queen Elizabeth II in The Queen. She's been in such films as; ExcaliburThe PledgeCalendar GirlsRaising HelenThe Madness of King George,Gosford ParkHitchhikers Guide to the GalaxyInkheartState of Play,The Last Station, RedThe DebtThe TempestArthur, and most recentlyHitchcock. Mirren has been nominated for 3 Oscars for The Madness of King GeorgeGosford Park, and The Last Station, and won the Oscar for The Queen. I really love Helen, I've seen her in a few interviews now, and she's always so charming and hilarious. Very Sassy. 



2.) Cate Blanchette
When I think of Cate Blanchette I just think of grace and elegance. She is such a beautiful lady, and I'm a huge fan. I would assume that her most famous role would be as Galadriel in The Lord Of The Rings franchise, but for people who haven't seen those films (aka crazy people) I have no idea. She's had some really impressive performances in some fantastic films including; Elizabeth,Pushing TinThe Talented Mr. RipleyThe GiftThe Shipping NewsHeaven,Veronica GuerinThe Missing, The Life Aquatic with Steve ZissouThe AviatorBabelThe Good GermanNotes On A ScandalI'm Not There,Elizabeth: The Golden AgeIndiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal SkullThe Curious Case of Benjamin ButtonRobin HoodHannah, and most recently The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. That probably seems like quite a lot of movies to have listed, but I wanted to make sure to include all of the ones I've enjoyed her in.




1.) Meryl Streep
Pretty sure there was no other option but Meryl as #1. She has been in an unbelieveable number of amazing films for the last 30 years. Here are just a few of her most well-known films; The Deer HunterManhattanKramer vs KramerSophie's ChoiceSilkwoodOut of AfricaMarvin's Room,AdaptationThe HoursThe Manchurian CandidateA Series of Unfortunate Events, PrimeThe Devil Wears Prada, Dark MatterRenditionLions For LambsMamma MiaDoubtJulie & JuliaIt's Complicated, and The Iron Lady. Meryl has been nominated for an astonishing SEVENTEEN Oscars and won for 3 of those performances, for Kramer vs KramerSophie's Choice, andThe Iron Lady. I definitely have not seen all of these, but I've seen enough, and a variety to really appreciate her talent. She really seems like one of the most kind and wonderful people on the planet. She just seems so grounded and like someone I'd like to have a meal with. I'm positive whatever she does with the rest of her life, I will be a fan of. 




Well, thats it folks. Looking forward to seeing what happens at the Academy Awards tonight. This year has a very impressive list of films and performances, and I'm sure it will be a really interesting show to watch. Can't wait to see how Seth MacFarlane does as host! Come back next Sunday to see next week's list! 

Honourable Mentions: Sandra Bullock, Emmy Rossum, Anne Hathaway, Hilary Swank, Helena Bonham Carter, Annette Bening, Jodie Foster, Julianne Moore, Tilda Swinton.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Top 10 Non-Cartoon Kids Movies

13 June 2013 So its been more then a month since posting anything, but for me summer has come and I'm working full time. However, I got a new position this week that leave me more time on the computer so you'll probably and hopefully see more of me from now on. Most of these films I'd say are more directed towards 7-12 year olds. I'd say maybe Labyrinth, Space Jam and Matilda might be an exception for those. Its not that the rest aren't appropriate for them, but more that they might not like them as much. All of them are fantastic films but for this one I went 100% with my own personal experience and preference. Please enjoy this weeks list, Top 10 Non-Cartoon Kids Movies. 10.) The Muppets Treasure Island I've never had a huge connection with The Muppets, but I thought a lot of people who feel this list would be unacceptable without it. I've only seen this film once or twice many, many years ago, but I remember it being enjoyable. I'm sort of usin

Top 10 80s Teen/Brat Pack Movies

Like I said, I've decided I want to try and do a new post every Sunday. I've decided that what I'm actually going to do is to have a Top 10 list every Sunday. The last few I've done have been a lot of fun so I figure, why not make it a new thing. Hopefully some people out there will enjoy them! So here they are: my list of Top 10 80's Teen/Brat Pack movies. 10.) Dirty Dancing I put this last, only because I was iffy on even putting it on the list because its not really a "Brat Pack" film, or the kind of "high school" movie I had intended, but she is a teen so I think it counts. Great coming of age/ discovering love movie.

Top 5 Scorsese Films

Top 5 Scorsese Films On my Top 10 Directors list Scorsese topped it. I absolutely adore his films, he absolutely mastered crime thrillers. All of his films have a lot of grit to them, but they always have so many amazing twists and turns. If you haven't seen any of his films, check yourself, because his films are fantastic. For those of you who might disagree with some of the films I left out, I haven't seen Raging Bull so, apologies that it will not break the top 5, but it IS under honourable mentions!