Skip to main content

The Lion King 3D

Originally Posted: 20 September 2011

IMDB: 8.3/10
Rotten Tomatoes: 89%
Roger Ebert: 3.5/4 Stars

Described by IMDB as " A lion prince is born in Africa and is told by his father, King Mufasa, that when Mufasa dies, Simba will take over the throne, cheating his Uncle Scar out of becoming King of the Pride Lands. Scar, fueled by rage, plots to kill Mufasa and Simba so he is able to take over the throne. He and the hyenas team up and manage to push Mufasa to his death, but Simba survives, and, armed with misinformation, flees the Pride Lands. Simba, believing that his father's death was his own fault, decides to never return home; due to this decision, he meets Timone the Meerkat, and Pummba the Warthog, and the trio become fast friends. Simba stays with them well into adulthood until his childhood friend, Nala, tracks him down and begs him to return to the Pride Lands, where Scar has reigned as King for years, and ruined everything. All of the animals will starve to death if Simba does not return. "


The Lion King is well known as one of the greatest Disney movies of all time, and I’d have to agree. When I was a kid the music and images were captivating, and I have to say that that hasn’t changed. When I heard it was being re-released in theatres in 3D I pretty much went crazy. I went to see it last night with a few friends and it was the most fun I’ve had at a movie in well, ever. I sang every song and I quite frankly didn’t give a shit how anyone else felt about it. The writing was fantastic, and the jokes witty. The entire movie was beautiful. And the music; where to start with the music! The score was perfect. Every tune fit perfectly with what was going on in the story, and every note was beautiful. Then there’s the songs. Who doesn’t love a good Lion King song? God love Elton John. Can You Feel The Love Tonight will be my wedding song. Its decided. Just so beautiful.

I’m not sure how to end this, so I’ve just got to say its in theatres for 2 weeks. For the love of God give your childhood this gift and go watch it. 

CAUTION: you WILL have the entire soundtrack stuck in your head for at least 24 hours. (Not that this is much of a bad thing) 

Overall I’d give this movie 4.5/5 stars. I almost gave it 5 stars but then I remembered its a kids movie and that might be a little overboard.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Invisible Man

IMDB: 7.1 /10 Rotten Tomatoes: 91%(critics), 88%(audience) Director:  Leigh Whannell Writers:  Leigh Whannell Stars:  Elisabeth Moss, Oliver Jackson-Cohen, Harriet Dyer, Aldis Hodge, Storm Reid Release Date:  28 February 2020 It's an absolute tragedy that this movie was released when it was because so many people(myself included) did not get to experience this movie in theatres, and unfortunately, I think a lot of people will miss it altogether because it didn't get the exposure it should have. I personally decided to pay the $20 to watch it on demand at the beginning of the pandemic, and I was glad to have the escape from reality.  I think if I had gone into this film realizing that it was from the team who brought us Paranormal Activity, and other horror movies that were way too scary for me to watch or enjoy, I think I would've run away screaming. But, thankfully my love of Elisabeth Moss and the fact that I assumed it was a thriller, made me comfortable eno...

Promising Young Woman

  IMDB: 7.5 /10 Rotten Tomatoes: 91%(critics), 87%(audience) Director:  Emerald Fennell Writers:  Emerald Fennell Stars: Carey Mulligan, Bo Burnham, Alison Brie, Laverne Cox Release Date:  25 December 2020 Warning: All of the spoilers ahead. Can I just say how incredible it is that this is a debut feature from Emerald Fennell? I think age is a benefit in that fact, because it's so obvious how completely clear of a vision she had in her head for this film, and she executed that vision so brilliantly.  This is definitely my favourite film of 2020, and there is so much to love about it. First of all, it is definitely the best "Me Too" film to come out of the movement so far, there have been a lot of interesting projects out recently that tackle consent and all kinds of other questions around the reckoning of 2017, such as The Assistant, and the absolutely brilliant show, I May Destroy You, but I think that unlike the other movies, this was able to have a particula...

Top 10 Directors

This weeks list topic is Top 10 Directors. I found this list very difficult because most of these directors who have created different worlds that have changed our lives, or taught us something about ourselves that we didn't know beforehand.  10.) Sam Mendes I think most people have actually not heard of Sam Mendes, although his name is getting a lot of coverage lately for the amazing job he did on the most recent Bond film  Skyfall .  He's actually only Directed 9 films so far, but all of them have been pretty well-known and extremely well recieved.  American Beauty ,  Road to Perdition ,  Jarhead ,  Revolutionary Road , etc. Since  American Beauty  is one of my very favorite films of all time, I had to allow him to make it onto this list. Like I said, he's only done a few films but thats incredibly exciting because he definitely got some serious potential, and after seeing his most recent film,  Skyfall , I can only assume its going...