Skip to main content

All Good Things

Originally Posted: 1 April 2012


\

IMDB: 6.3
Rotten Tomatoes: 32%
Roger Ebert: 3.5/4 Stars

Release Date: 9 December 2010

Stars: Ryan Gosling, Kirsten Dunst, Frank Langella
Directed By: Andrew Jarecki
Written By: Marcus Hinchey, Marc Smerling.


Described by IMDB as "A love story and murder mystery based on the most notorious unsolved murder case in New York history. The original screenplay uses newly discovered facts, court records and speculation as the foundation for a story of family, obsession, love and loss."


So clearly some mixed reviews. I'm not going to say this movie deserves a 10 or something, but seriously Rotten Tomatoes? 32%? At first I thought I had probably lost my mind or movie reviewing credibility, but Roger Ebert gave it a strong review, so I think I'm fine.

I actually really enjoyed this movie. Knowing right off the bat that it's a true story made it more interesting, terrifying and enjoyable. I love Ryan Gosling in pretty much anything, and I really enjoyed seeing him in a different role then he normally plays. I also didn't hate Kirsten Dunst in this  role, so thats a good sign. I really enjoy movies like this, murder mysteries. I think its mostly because even though we know that David Marks(Gosling) clearly killed his wife Katie(Dunst), he lives in Florida, free, and hasn't served any time for it. I don't understand how that is at all possible as in the film he is portrayed as having a temper with many, many witnesses. However, I suppose not everything in the film is true, which makes it difficult to make a certain decision on it, but even if only part of the film is true, its pretty clear he was a seriously bad dude. I think the film was pretty well done. Constantly interesting, you just don't know what will happen next. It had the same feel as Zodiac in the sense that its a true unsolved murder, where the film gives you a clear murder, who has still not been charged. These films really tend to be more intense because you really know how it ends from the beginning.


Luckily, for his sake, they changed his name in the film, but I will not give him the same courtesy.  His real name is Robert A. Durst, a real estate investor in Florida. Its actually quite sickening that he most likely got away with not one, but three murders. He was only charged with one, which he convinced them was self defence, and only received 9 months in jail for wrongly disposing of a body. Insanity.

Overall I'll give this film a 7/10. I'd definitely tell just about anyone to see it.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Invisible Man

IMDB: 7.1 /10 Rotten Tomatoes: 91%(critics), 88%(audience) Director:  Leigh Whannell Writers:  Leigh Whannell Stars:  Elisabeth Moss, Oliver Jackson-Cohen, Harriet Dyer, Aldis Hodge, Storm Reid Release Date:  28 February 2020 It's an absolute tragedy that this movie was released when it was because so many people(myself included) did not get to experience this movie in theatres, and unfortunately, I think a lot of people will miss it altogether because it didn't get the exposure it should have. I personally decided to pay the $20 to watch it on demand at the beginning of the pandemic, and I was glad to have the escape from reality.  I think if I had gone into this film realizing that it was from the team who brought us Paranormal Activity, and other horror movies that were way too scary for me to watch or enjoy, I think I would've run away screaming. But, thankfully my love of Elisabeth Moss and the fact that I assumed it was a thriller, made me comfortable eno...

Promising Young Woman

  IMDB: 7.5 /10 Rotten Tomatoes: 91%(critics), 87%(audience) Director:  Emerald Fennell Writers:  Emerald Fennell Stars: Carey Mulligan, Bo Burnham, Alison Brie, Laverne Cox Release Date:  25 December 2020 Warning: All of the spoilers ahead. Can I just say how incredible it is that this is a debut feature from Emerald Fennell? I think age is a benefit in that fact, because it's so obvious how completely clear of a vision she had in her head for this film, and she executed that vision so brilliantly.  This is definitely my favourite film of 2020, and there is so much to love about it. First of all, it is definitely the best "Me Too" film to come out of the movement so far, there have been a lot of interesting projects out recently that tackle consent and all kinds of other questions around the reckoning of 2017, such as The Assistant, and the absolutely brilliant show, I May Destroy You, but I think that unlike the other movies, this was able to have a particula...

Top 10 Directors

This weeks list topic is Top 10 Directors. I found this list very difficult because most of these directors who have created different worlds that have changed our lives, or taught us something about ourselves that we didn't know beforehand.  10.) Sam Mendes I think most people have actually not heard of Sam Mendes, although his name is getting a lot of coverage lately for the amazing job he did on the most recent Bond film  Skyfall .  He's actually only Directed 9 films so far, but all of them have been pretty well-known and extremely well recieved.  American Beauty ,  Road to Perdition ,  Jarhead ,  Revolutionary Road , etc. Since  American Beauty  is one of my very favorite films of all time, I had to allow him to make it onto this list. Like I said, he's only done a few films but thats incredibly exciting because he definitely got some serious potential, and after seeing his most recent film,  Skyfall , I can only assume its going...