Skip to main content

Zero Dark Thirty

Originally Posted: 11 February 2013

IMDB: 7.7/10
Rotten Tomatoes: 93%
Roger Ebert: 3/4 stars

Staring: Jessica Chastain, Joel Edgerton, Chris Pratt, Mark Strong, James Gandolfini
Directed By: Kathryn Bigelow
Written By: Mark Boal


Release Date: 11 January 2012
Described by IMDB as: "Maya is a CIA operative whose first experience is in the interrogation of prisoners following the Al Qaeda attacks against the U.S. on the 11th September 2001. She is a reluctant participant in extreme duress applied to the detainees, but believes that the truth may only be obtained through such tactics. For several years, she is single-minded in her pursuit of leads to uncover the whereabouts of Al Qaeda's leader, Osama Bin Laden. Finally, in 2011, it appears that her work will pay off, and a U.S. Navy SEAL team is sent to kill or capture Bin Laden. But only Maya is confident Bin Laden is where she says he is."



I'm really not a fan of movies that are very pro-american propaganda, but I really didn't mind this one. This was actually one of the most intense movies I've seen in a very long time, more specifically the last half hour or so  when they actually get to the compound where Osama Bin Ladin was. I think the fact that you know he dies at the end is even more intense then if you didn't because you're just waiting for that moment when they find and kill him. 

Its been a few weeks since I saw the film so I'm sure there are quite a few things I'm going to have forgotten about it, but I will try my best. I think that there is a pretty good chance of Jessica Chastain winning the Oscar this year for Best Actress in a Leading Role. I mean, Jennifer Lawrence was fantastic in Silver Linings Playbook and, she might have some competition in Quvenzhané Wallis for Beasts of a Southern Wild because everyone  likes to give awards to children, but I think that Chastain has a definite shot. All of the acting in this film was fantastic. I really didn't know who most of the actors in this film, but they were great. The emotions from the prisoners were fantastic. You really got the feeling that they were being tortured.

The conflict that comes with enjoying this film is the torture. There has been a lot of uproar about it all over the media, and I think the reasons are valid. I think that this movie definitely portrays torture, especially water-boarding and sleep depravation. I think the fact that they changed some stuff, or maybe have even gotten some party completely wrong is a big problem for people. For most films based on true events it doesn't matter, but since the Iraq war is still going on, this brings up a pretty big issue for most people. Especially with all of the debates over drone strikes these days, it all links together as a pretty big moral debate. I totally agree with all of this, especially since at one point they are clearly angered by the fact that Obama has put a ban on torture, leaving them with less options in how to obtain information. However, the information that helps them find the messenger wasn't really torture, it was then giving him food and letting him outside. Granted, that wouldn't have worked if they hadn't been torturing him for months, but still.

I think the cinematography and directing were also fantastic in this film. Although most of it was pretty grim-looking, it was still beautifully shot. The whole sequence with them flying into the camp where Osama Bin Ladin is hiding was beautiful and you really felt the suspense  but not as much as when they actually got in there. It wasn't just that you were waiting to see where Bin Ladinwas, it was also how they were filming it. It was dark so you couldn't see much. I think the way they chose to show him when they had shot him was smart, they showed used bits and pieces of his face at a time, never really showing the injury, but showing enough of his face for anyone who'd seen a picture of him before to know it was him. I thought it was smart, because I'm sure this film is causing enough rage within the Taliban as it is, they definitely would have lost it if they had shown the deformed-mutilated head of their former leader. My opinion was the same for when Obama didn't release pictures of his dead body when they got him in real life. I know he was a bad dude, but they would just be horribly disrespectful to people who cared about him. No one should have to see their loved one in that way, even if they are a terrorist.

 I honestly don't know how much of this film was true, or elaborated, or just fully made up so I can't really comment on the political accuracy of this film, but I can say that as a film on its own I thought it was fantastic. As I said before it was one of the most intense and heart-pounding films I've ever seen. Its hard to look past inaccuracies, I know, but if you don't know every detail of the Iraq war, or the details of the Seal Team 6 mission, you should perfectly enjoy this film. Unless you just don't appreciate good films, I surprisingly do know people like this. One person told me once that she didn't Precious because "there wasn't enough story."

I'm going to give this film a 8.3/10. Super good, I'd definitely see it again. I'd even buy it on Blu Ray(and we all know how expensive that can be.)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Invisible Man

IMDB: 7.1 /10 Rotten Tomatoes: 91%(critics), 88%(audience) Director:  Leigh Whannell Writers:  Leigh Whannell Stars:  Elisabeth Moss, Oliver Jackson-Cohen, Harriet Dyer, Aldis Hodge, Storm Reid Release Date:  28 February 2020 It's an absolute tragedy that this movie was released when it was because so many people(myself included) did not get to experience this movie in theatres, and unfortunately, I think a lot of people will miss it altogether because it didn't get the exposure it should have. I personally decided to pay the $20 to watch it on demand at the beginning of the pandemic, and I was glad to have the escape from reality.  I think if I had gone into this film realizing that it was from the team who brought us Paranormal Activity, and other horror movies that were way too scary for me to watch or enjoy, I think I would've run away screaming. But, thankfully my love of Elisabeth Moss and the fact that I assumed it was a thriller, made me comfortable eno...

Promising Young Woman

  IMDB: 7.5 /10 Rotten Tomatoes: 91%(critics), 87%(audience) Director:  Emerald Fennell Writers:  Emerald Fennell Stars: Carey Mulligan, Bo Burnham, Alison Brie, Laverne Cox Release Date:  25 December 2020 Warning: All of the spoilers ahead. Can I just say how incredible it is that this is a debut feature from Emerald Fennell? I think age is a benefit in that fact, because it's so obvious how completely clear of a vision she had in her head for this film, and she executed that vision so brilliantly.  This is definitely my favourite film of 2020, and there is so much to love about it. First of all, it is definitely the best "Me Too" film to come out of the movement so far, there have been a lot of interesting projects out recently that tackle consent and all kinds of other questions around the reckoning of 2017, such as The Assistant, and the absolutely brilliant show, I May Destroy You, but I think that unlike the other movies, this was able to have a particula...

Top 10 Musicals

Originally Posted: 17 April 2013 First off, I think just about anyone who knows anything about Musicals is going to completely disagree with 90% of my choices on this list, but I don't care. I don't have a music theatre background, so I think that when its in a movie, and not on Broadway or in an Opera, its more important to have great acting then perfect singing. Either way, please enjoy this weeks list; Top 10 Movie Musicals. 10.) Mamma Mia Against all of my best judgement I love this movie. I don't know if its simply my love of ABBA or not, but the first time I saw this I spent the whole movie laughing. Is this a great movie? Absolutely not, but is it some of the most fun you will ever have watching a movie? Hell yes. The cast is incredibly impressive but  Pierce Brosnan  is absolutely embarrassing in this movie. I'm sure he's an ok actor in general, but I was really almost unable to watch him in this one. However the rest of the cast, including ...