Skip to main content

12 Angry Men

Originally Posted: 3 April 2012

IMDB: 8.9/10
IMDB Top 250:  #6
Rotten Tomatoes: 100%

Stars: Henry Fonda, Lee J. Cobb, Martin Balsam

Written By: Reginald Rose
Directed By: Sidney Lumet



Release Date: April 1957

Described by IMDB as "The defense and the prosecution have rested and the jury is filing into the jury room to decide if a young Spanish-American is guilty or innocent of murdering his father. What begins as an open and shut case of murder soon becomes a mini-drama of each of the jurors' prejudices and preconceptions about the trial, the accused, and each other. Based on the play, all of the action takes place on the stage of the jury room."

This entire film takes place in one room, which is very different as far as I can tell. There are only maybe, 15 people in the whole film, so its pretty impressive that it remains interesting throughout the whole film. The entire movie rests on the story, and the acting. No action scenes, no love story, nothing that today's films rely on. I also really liked that even though they could have filmed in colour by that time, they didn't even need to rely on that.. just the story. It was nominated at the 1958 Academy Awards for Best Director, Best Picture, and best writing.

This film is about a young man who's too poor to hire a decent lawyer and has to rely on a single man (Henry Fonda) to convince them otherwise. It was so interesting to hear civilians tear the stories apart when a lawyer couldn't. I absolutely loved the part where they're arguing about the knife and and he slams his own knife that looks exactly the same into the table. At that point I knew for sure that he was was going to change everyone's minds. I just can't get over just how brilliantly they kept this film going. The thought that I could sit through an hour and a half of watching 12 men argue with each other in one room is amazing, but I just wanted to hear more each time. It wouldn't have been the same even if it had been in a courtroom, just the fact that regular people could tear this trial apart.

I'm going to give this film an 8/10. Its #6 for a reason!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Invisible Man

IMDB: 7.1 /10 Rotten Tomatoes: 91%(critics), 88%(audience) Director:  Leigh Whannell Writers:  Leigh Whannell Stars:  Elisabeth Moss, Oliver Jackson-Cohen, Harriet Dyer, Aldis Hodge, Storm Reid Release Date:  28 February 2020 It's an absolute tragedy that this movie was released when it was because so many people(myself included) did not get to experience this movie in theatres, and unfortunately, I think a lot of people will miss it altogether because it didn't get the exposure it should have. I personally decided to pay the $20 to watch it on demand at the beginning of the pandemic, and I was glad to have the escape from reality.  I think if I had gone into this film realizing that it was from the team who brought us Paranormal Activity, and other horror movies that were way too scary for me to watch or enjoy, I think I would've run away screaming. But, thankfully my love of Elisabeth Moss and the fact that I assumed it was a thriller, made me comfortable eno...

Promising Young Woman

  IMDB: 7.5 /10 Rotten Tomatoes: 91%(critics), 87%(audience) Director:  Emerald Fennell Writers:  Emerald Fennell Stars: Carey Mulligan, Bo Burnham, Alison Brie, Laverne Cox Release Date:  25 December 2020 Warning: All of the spoilers ahead. Can I just say how incredible it is that this is a debut feature from Emerald Fennell? I think age is a benefit in that fact, because it's so obvious how completely clear of a vision she had in her head for this film, and she executed that vision so brilliantly.  This is definitely my favourite film of 2020, and there is so much to love about it. First of all, it is definitely the best "Me Too" film to come out of the movement so far, there have been a lot of interesting projects out recently that tackle consent and all kinds of other questions around the reckoning of 2017, such as The Assistant, and the absolutely brilliant show, I May Destroy You, but I think that unlike the other movies, this was able to have a particula...

Top 10 Directors

This weeks list topic is Top 10 Directors. I found this list very difficult because most of these directors who have created different worlds that have changed our lives, or taught us something about ourselves that we didn't know beforehand.  10.) Sam Mendes I think most people have actually not heard of Sam Mendes, although his name is getting a lot of coverage lately for the amazing job he did on the most recent Bond film  Skyfall .  He's actually only Directed 9 films so far, but all of them have been pretty well-known and extremely well recieved.  American Beauty ,  Road to Perdition ,  Jarhead ,  Revolutionary Road , etc. Since  American Beauty  is one of my very favorite films of all time, I had to allow him to make it onto this list. Like I said, he's only done a few films but thats incredibly exciting because he definitely got some serious potential, and after seeing his most recent film,  Skyfall , I can only assume its going...